Save on a high-efficiency heat pump conversion
Get cash back when you convert to an energy-efficient heat pump. Program-qualified heat pumps are up to 20% more efficient than older models. With proper selection, installation and maintenance, you can gain big savings on your heating and cooling costs. Cash rebates are available for heat pump conversions, upgrades and optimization.
- Take a modern heat pump for a spin. Learn more here.
Rebates and qualifications
Air source heat pump upgrade tier 1
Air source heat pump upgrade tier 2
Air source heat pump upgrade tier 3
Air source heat pump conversion tier(1
Air source heat pump conversion tier 2
Air source heat pump conversion tier 3
Trade ally rebates are available, click here for details.
Ensure the home qualifies:
- Must be existing home, not new construction.
- Multifamily homes up to 3 units qualify. For individually owned/owner-occupied high-rise units, please contact program staff for approval.
Requirements for all heat pump installations:
- Tier 1: Minimum 9.0 HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor ), 15 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio).
- Tier 2: Minimum 9. 5 HSPF, 16 SEER.
- Tier 3: Minimum 10 HSPF, 17 SEER cold climate heat pump on NEEP qualified product list
- Work must be completed by a program-participating HVAC Contractor
- Heat pump must be installed according to the specifications outlined in the Utah Technical Specifications Manual
- New air source heat pump must be the current primary heat source and must service at least 80% of the home’s conditioned living space.
- Air source heat pump must be a new, air-source split or packaged unitary heat pump with an AHRI (Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute) Standard Rating Cooling Capacity of 65,000 BTU/hr (5.4 tons) or less.
- Air source heat pump must be listed on the AHRI Certified Directory
- Homes are eligible for one unit. If a customer is applying for two units or more, please contact the program before applying as additional information is required.
Additional requirements for heat pump upgrade:
- Previous primary heat source must have been a permanently installed ducted electric heat pump that served at least 80% of the home’s conditioned living space.
Additional requirements for heat pump conversion:
- Previous primary heat source must have been a permanently installed electric resistance heating system (e.g. electric baseboard, electric furnace, electric ceiling/wall heat) serving at least 80% of the home’s conditioned living area.
- Gas, oil, wood heating, pellet stoves, and propane systems conversions do not qualify.
Additional program rules:
- Submit all documents so they are received within 180 days of the qualifying service completion.
- Rebate cannot exceed 50% of the project costs.
- If applying for a multifamily property (up to 3 units per foundation), please submit one application per unit. For individually owned/owner-occupied high-rise units, please contact program staff for approval. See our custom Multifamily Program for more information.
- Air Source Heat Pump Application, completed and signed*
- Itemized receipt or contractor invoice
- AHRI certificate
- Third Party Payment Addendum for applicants who would like to forward payment to a third party not listed on the utility account
Rebates are associated with the most recent tariff filing approved by the Utah Public Service Commission. All rebates are subject to change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Prior to starting a project, find a contractor using the program-participating HVAC contractor list. Note that select rebates must be completed by a program-qualified contractor. Review the rebate qualifications with your contractor and review the list of required documents to submit for a rebate.
You will need these items to apply online for your rebate:
- Rocky Mountain Power account number
- Electronic image of your receipt that shows the manufacturer name and model number of your new product
- Complete and submit your online application within 180 days of purchasing your new energy-efficient product.
- Please allow 14 days plus mail service time for delivery of your rebate after your application and receipt has been received and approved. Missing information may delay processing and delivery of your rebate.
- You can locate your account number on your statement as shown below.